Want to make a difference? Here are a few causes that need your support.
Take care of yourself and your loved ones first
Do you know of similar services in other countries? Please share.
You could do anything, but you have to start with something
Please note that, even if the groups or individuals below operate outside of your area, they are still excellent sources for info and inspiration, and they would love to talk with you. Be sure to mention that you learned about them on the Plural of You.
Business / Finance / Labor
- The FoolProof Foundation (POY 12): Encouraging financial literacy.
- Awakening Compassion at Work (POY 38): Making our workplaces more compassionate.
Art / Community / Culture
- ONE Good Deed Fund (POY 17): Funding good deeds in Burlington, Vermont.
- Miracle Messages (POY 18): Uses social media to reunite lost loved ones.
- BeArded WARRIORs (POY 22): Veterans’ support group in Huntsville, Alabama.
- bonniekemske.com (POY 27): Artist researcher who makes sculptures of hugs.
- Politeness Points (POY 28): Encouraging politeness in Boston and beyond.
- Spaceship Media (POY 39): Using journalism to reunite Americans.
- Bayfront Maritime Center (POY 03): Maritime education center in Erie, Pennsylvania.
- Barbershop Books (POY 11): Placing children’s books in Harlem’s barbershops.
- Veterinary Social Work at UT-Knoxville (POY 16): Caring for veterinarians and pet owners.
- 911 Wellness Foundation (POY 25): Educating 911 dispatchers and the public.
- City Stay (POY 26): Alternative to study abroad in Minneapolis.
Environment / Public Space
- The Public Bench Project (POY 02): Building public benches in San Francisco.
- Illinois Coalition for Responsible Outdoor Lighting (POY 07): Raising light pollution awareness near Chicago.
- Harrison Street DIY Project (POY 10): Public skate park in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Trees Are Key Podcast (POY 23): All about trees, their care, and benefits.
- B612 Foundation (POY 31): Planetary defense against asteroids. See also Asteroid Day.
- The Neighborhood Playbook (POY 40): A manual for building community.
Food / Health
- Fit To Recover (POY 06): Salt Lake City’s nonprofit sober gym.
- Friday Night Meatballs (POY 08): Building community, one dinner at a time.
- truckdrivershealth.org (POY 13): Health tips for truck drivers.
- Food Allergy Community of East Tennessee (POY 15): Great source for info on food allergies. Also started the Teal Pumpkin Project.
- The AIDS Outreach Project (POY 33): Harm reduction for drug users near Seattle.
- AnxietyTherapy.org (POY 34): Yisroel Roll’s program to overcome anxiety.
- The Family Dinner Project (POY 37): Helping families share dinner together again.
- City of Santa Ana Library Services (POY 05): Prime example of a public library that also serves as a community center.
- ELGL (POY 30): Professional association for those who like public service.
- The Repair Association (POY 36): Legalizing our right to fair repair.
Law / Justice
- Etowah Visitation Project (POY 09): Visits detainees in Gadsden, Alabama.
- Georgia Justice Project (POY 20): Supports those affected by the criminal justice system near Atlanta, Georgia.
- Barksdale’s Anti-Violence Model (POY 32): Former Baltimore police commissioner’s campaign against violence.
- Salt Lake City Homeless Outreach Service Team (POY 04): One of many groups working with Salt Lake City’s Homeless Services.
- Christmas Tree Santas (POY 19): Gives out Christmas trees across the US.
- Crescent City CrockPot (POY 35): Feeds those who are homeless in New Orleans.
- Propel (POY 01): Designing government services to be more user-friendly.
- OptiKey (POY 14): Free app allowing those with limited mobility to type.
- AbleGamers (POY 21): Advocates for accessibility in video games.
- 100under100.org (POY 24): Celebrating women in tech around the world.
- Aunt Bertha (POY 29): Search engine for US social services.