Looking for kinder, more compassionate sources of information? Here are books, podcasts, and websites that will reinspire your relationship with humanity.
- 100 Under $100: One-hundred effective, low-cost solutions for helping women out of poverty. Beautiful book. I spoke with author Betsy Teutsch on POY 24.
- Altruism: An overview of the opportunities and limitations found in our “selfless” behaviors.
- Awakening Compassion at Work: Instructs readers on how to make their workplaces more humane. I spoke with co-author Monica Worline on POY 38.
- Chasing the Scream: A sobering plea to reconsider the War on Drugs and the people it harms. One of the best books I’ve ever read.
- Doing Good Better: How each of us can optimize our efforts to make the world better.
- The Fire This Time: A collection of essays and poems on race from some of the most important voices of our time.
- The Great Good Place: Community is created in places where we hang out with others, separate from home or work. Here’s why we should preserve them.
- The Neighborhood Playbook: Modern society is fragmented. Here’s a manual on how to rebuild our communities. I spoke with co-authors Kevin Wright and Joe Nickol on POY 40.
- Our Kids: Stories and data on how Americans are losing opportunities for upward mobility. A must-read.
- Race: Studs Terkel’s narrative history on how black and white Americans view race. Full of unique first-person stories.
- Tattoos on the Heart: A look at how our lives could be if we embraced unconditional love for one another. A touching read.
- The World According to Mister Rogers: Bits of wisdom from one of America’s foremost role models for social grace.
- Busted: America’s Poverty Myths: The tales we tell ourselves about poverty.
- Crazy Good Turns: Celebrating nonprofits and people doing good for others.
- How Do We Fix It?: Solutions for problems we all face.
- Humankind: Stories of people making the world more humane.
- Kind World: Stories of profound kindness. From WBUR in Boston.
- The Measure of Everyday Life: For those curious about human behavior.
- Reveal: Deeper dives into the stories of our time.
- Scene On Radio: A podcast that asks, “How’s it going out there?”
- StoryCorps: Interactive stories of humanity. As featured on NPR.
- Strangers: True stories about the people we meet.
- The Uncertain Hour: Economic origin stories. Season 1 covers the American welfare system.
- Us & Them: Stories from the fault lines that separate Americans.
- ABC News – Good News: Inspirational and positive news stories, mostly from the US.
- Good News Network: Positive news stories from around the globe.
- Images & Voices of Hope (ivoh): Pushing the media to create positive, meaningful change in the world.
- NationSwell: Meet the people renewing America.
- The Nicest Place on the Internet: For when you need a hug online.
- Our World in Data: Data on how the world is changing, mostly for the better.
- pluralofyou multireddit: News feed from 54 positive subreddits. More at my blog post.
- Science of Us: The latest science on human behavior.
- Solutions Journalism Story Tracker: Mapped database of reports on responses to social problems.
- World Gratitude Map: Find where good things have happened near you.
- YES! Magazine: Reframes the biggest problems of our time in terms of their solutions.
- Check out the over 200 groups, projects, and people the Plural of You has Liked on Facebook and mentioned on Twitter.